AMBLER BOILER HOUSE
Transformation of industrial icon to symbol of sustainable design.
Award winning class a leed-certified office building
Preservation Alliance for Greater Philadelphia, Grand Jury Award
Building Design & Construction Magazine, Reconstruction Awards, Gold Award
Montgomery County - Smart Growth Award, Planning and Design - Montgomery Award
10,000 Friends of Pennsylvania Commonwealth Design Awards, Adaptive Reuse Gold Award
Ambler, PA | 40,000 SF
HSA’s adaptive reuse design of this abandoned boiler house has created a state-of-the-art LEED Platinum office space, while carefully preserving key elements of the well-known landmark and following Ambler's revitalization. Originally constructed in 1897 as a power-generating station for the production of asbestos products, the Ambler Boiler House project illustrates design success in transit-oriented adaptive reuse, brownfield redevelopment, and creative project financing.
With close proximity to the SEPTA regional rail station, existing roadways and available utility services, the project is a responsible approach to commercial development. Encouraging public transportation and utilizing infill development principles, the site is merged into the existing downtown density. Sustainable principles were followed to ensure energy efficiency (utilizing a geothermal system), lessen material landfill, avoid potable water waste and provide a healthy office space.